In a nutshell, this is what every American needs to do ASAP:
- Find out when and where your local Party Committee meets and attend the meetings. Linn County meetings are Here.
- Ask if a vacant Precinct Committee Person position exists for your precinct, and volunteer to be appointed. If no vacancy currently exists (extremely unlikely), volunteer to be a “helper” for the existing Precinct Committee Person.
- Visit our PCP page Here.
- Ask for a copy of the Precinct Committee Person handbook of your state party and study it and learn how to run for precinct committeeman in the next election for these positions.
Precinct Committee Persons are today’s political Minutemen. Can you at least give this a try? I guarantee you’ll find the experience very interesting and rewarding and you’ll meet a lot of great Republicans. Precinct Committee Persons are the “elite” of the political parties – parties do not exist without them and fewer than one in one hundred political party members can be a voting member of the party.
Maps are invaluable for telling us where we are. We all know that precincts provide the lay of the political landscape. The map here shows the portions of the legislative districts reaching into the county intersect. It also assists one to visualize how the precincts align to the legislative districts with the colors; much easier than a monochrome map.
PCPs can download and print these maps:
- Linn County precincts
- Linn County House/Senate districts
- Albany precincts
- Lebanon precincts
- Sweet Home precincts
The Oregon Legislature's web site has an interactive mapping tool that enables the interested user to examine the coverage of House and Senate districts dynamically by providing addresses or simply move the mouse pointer to the desired location on the map:
Oregon Legislative Information System
A core function of the PCP is to help friends, neighbors, and other voters understand the issues that makes one candidate better than another. The Oregon Legislature Information System (OLIS) is an invaluable tool for tracking the legislature whenever it convenes in session. You will find tools to follow the course of legislation through committees and floor sessions, read amendments, and even submit testimony. Devote some time to really learn how to utilize it.
- Oregon Legislature Information System
- How To Use OLIS
- ORS Revised Statutes https://www.oregonlaws.org/oregon_revised_statutes
The Oregon Secretary of State is the chief elections officer for the State of Oregon; the County Clerk has the same role in Linn County. Both sites provide a wealth of information to assist the voter. Since the clerk holds the records for all voters in the county and is the first point of contact, this site is the go-to location for all things PCP and county election history. But even the county site redirects many voter inquiries to the SoS site, especially to help with voter registration:
|County site||State site|
You bet you want to be able to answer all of the questions an interested voter asks. And naturally you would love to be able to win that argument with one who disagrees and "persuade the persuadable". Here are four sites that can keep you busy for at least several months if you take advantage of everything they offer:
- Oregon Elections Civics Toolkit — Designed for a group/classroom setting, these teacher lesson plans cover Oregon election laws and processes.
- Oregon Citizens Lobby — While the site is focused more on tracking legislation and alerting site followers of pending action in the interest of promoting good lobbying efforts, poking around just might uncover some real gold.
- Hillsdale College online — The Constitution classes alone are worth the price of tuition. There is so much more that will bring you back. Classes covering culture, history, economics, and literature will not only educate, they will inspire.
- Wallbuilders — David Barton has been publishing materials offering Christian perspectives on U.S. History for decades. There are several insightful articles and media, mostly on topics of national scope. You will want to stay current via return visits.